Monday, June 29, 2015

Week 6: Laguna Beach Ward

Friends and Family-

It was another great week! Being a missionary is awesome. I've been learning so much and I'm so excited to see where the rest of my mission takes me. It almost seems like 18 months can't possibly be long enough. So about this week!

-We've been using a survey to contact people! It's just 8 or 10 questions that a missionary somewhere used and they're trying it out in this mission. It's so cool. For one, a survey seems a lot less intimidating than just asking people point blank if they'd like to learn about the gospel so we're able to talk with a lot more people. For two, it's cool to get to know about the beliefs and feelings of the people we meet! We met an old man named George who loved it. He said he only had like 2 minutes but ended up just talking and talking for like 25 and we may go back and see him this week!

-I had another exchange! This time Sister Granger (one of my STLs) came to Laguna Beach to work with me and it was awesome. Not only did she run with me in the morning (best day ever) but we clicked really well and were able to work hard a get tons done! Also whenever Sister Fetui isn't in the area I'm the designated driver so that was fun.

-I went to the audition/practice for the musical numbers that I had prepared with Sister Carr and Sister Shumway. So a little background- every 3rd Wednesday here there's a big musical devotional at the stake center by the temple where people can come listen to music and then take a tour of the temple grounds. So we were there on the 3rd Tuesday of June to see if we could perform in the July one. It turned out that they liked our numbers so well that they had us sing the next night at the June one and they want us to sing again at the July one! It was so fun.

-Went to the craziest service project! Laguna Hills high school (a little further inland) was prepping for their post grad party that they have every year and they needed tons of help so we and a bunch of other missionaries went to see what we could do. I have never in my life seen such an extravagant post grad party! It's going to be so sick. They have everything you can think of set for the seniors. I can't even imagine how much time and money went into it! We stayed for hours and barely made a dent in the work they have to do so I hope they finish in time! I think other missionaries are going back to help more. So cool.

-Got sunburned pretty badly! My bishop saw me and busted up laughing from the stand...

-Studied the Atonement of Christ a lot! That's a great topic to study. It never gets old because the wonder and amazement that it even happened never wears off, and there's always something more to learn. A quote that I particularly liked out of 1 John is in chapter 3 verse 16- "Hereby we perceive the love of [Christ], because he laid down his life for us; and we ought to lay down our lives for our brethren." It truly amazes me how much Christ must love each of us to be willing to suffer so much just on the chance that we might accept him as our Savior and follow his teachings. Being a missionary I've seen a lot more of the side of people not accepting him first hand and I'm so glad I have this opportunity to try to share what has brought me peace and happiness.

I love you all so much! I hope everyone has a great week :)

Love, Sister Mariah Wimmer

Me and Sis Fetui after the adult session of Stake Conference. She felt good about her hair so it was selfie time.



Outside the Newport Beach Temple. Such a lovely place.


Katie and Andy Hanson, parents' friends from Duke, ran into Sister Wimmer.
"What a small world!"

No comments:

Post a Comment